Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: updated standings and ratings

  1. #11
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    If someone wants to know where there team stands "right now" then averages have everything to do with it. Your numbers get more accurate as the season goes along when most teams have already had their open week. At the end of the season your numbers are pretty much accurate when compared to the averages, but if someone wants to know exactly where their team stands during the season the only way to do that is to use the averages. A blind man can see that, but evidently you can't.

    You spend a lot of time doing what you do and everybody appreciates you for that, but when anybody questions anything you do you always get on here and act like a toddler that lost his toy.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    as I've said b4, where a team stands "right now" has nothing to do with the playoffs. 2 more games to be played, and Grundy will finish somewhere between 2nd and 15th, so who they would play today is meaingless.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    If it is meaningless then why even put out any type of rankings until the season is over? I guarantee you that every fan of every team that is in playoff contention look at the rankings every week to see who their team may have to play come playoff time. The rankings are not always accurate during the season if you just add up the total amount of points. The ONLY way to have them accurate during the season is to take averages.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    The thing is, the way helper does it gives you a better idea of projecting what will happen versus just using averages.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #15
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    The thing is, the way helper does it gives you a better idea of projecting what will happen versus just using averages.
    With his cheat sheets, yes. With his ratings, no.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    The average ratings haven't meant jack either. 3 weeks ago Rye Cove was hosting Clintwood. Not a snowballs chance in Key West of it happening now.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #17
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    I don't think folks have room to complain about helper's numbers for two reasons:

    1) You're not putting in the work to do what he does...he is.

    2) You're not paying him for doing any of it--he does it for free.

    If you know there's flaws, but his information is useful for something--then take it for what it is and get off his back.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    again, I DON"T DO rankings there's no #1 , #2, etc.
    And I don't even do the ratings until sometime in October, because they're worthless until the last couple of weeks, but I want to make sure the VHSL has THEIR numbers right... every 2 years, at the start of a new cycle, I pretty much send them weekly "discrepencies" about the out of state schools. This year, they didn't have Divisions for Harlan Co., Pike Central or St. Albans, WV (they thought Princetom was playing St. Albans, DC), so those games weren't showing up in the rider points.
    Right now, by themselves, the ratings are worthless, just like the average is. But ithey're the core of the cheat-sheet, which is a LOT more accurate at figuring out who you might play in Rd. 1 than the averages. And I have to make sure I have the right numbers, too, because I do my stuff on Fri. night & Sat. morning, LONG before the official numbers come out.. otherwise, I couldn't have started on the cheat sheets until this morning.

    If you were to open your mind work with the c-s, you might see that.

    I could roll a die and be just as accurate at who team A MIGHT play in Rd. 1 as looking at the averages.

    And I' don't think I've ever hijacked an "if the playoffs..." thread and said "they don't"... I don't even look at them, so you're wrong about the "every fan" part... I let ppl. have their fun with it and argue over it, then I do my stuff when it's crunch time. If that's not your thing, your loss.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member
    updated standings and ratings


    stainless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2009
    Location
    On the mtn.
    Posts
    279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by VHSLhelper View Post
    again, I DON"T DO rankings there's no #1 , #2, etc.
    And I don't even do the ratings until sometime in October, because they're worthless until the last couple of weeks, but I want to make sure the VHSL has THEIR numbers right... every 2 years, at the start of a new cycle, I pretty much send them weekly "discrepencies" about the out of state schools. This year, they didn't have Divisions for Harlan Co., Pike Central or St. Albans, WV (they thought Princetom was playing St. Albans, DC), so those games weren't showing up in the rider points.
    Right now, by themselves, the ratings are worthless, just like the average is. But ithey're the core of the cheat-sheet, which is a LOT more accurate at figuring out who you might play in Rd. 1 than the averages. And I have to make sure I have the right numbers, too, because I do my stuff on Fri. night & Sat. morning, LONG before the official numbers come out.. otherwise, I couldn't have started on the cheat sheets until this morning.

    If you were to open your mind work with the c-s, you might see that.

    I could roll a die and be just as accurate at who team A MIGHT play in Rd. 1 as looking at the averages.

    And I' don't think I've ever hijacked an "if the playoffs..." thread and said "they don't"... I don't even look at them, so you're wrong about the "every fan" part... I let ppl. have their fun with it and argue over it, then I do my stuff when it's crunch time. If that's not your thing, your loss.
    I don't know if anyone else will notice, but what I got out of your cheat sheets is a lot of things can change the next to weeks.

    I can tell everyone this the teams that your team has beat this year can help you more than you know.

    For me the cheat sheets give you a idea in the what ifs.
    Central Warriors The start of a new ERA!!!!

  10. #20
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: updated standings and ratings

    yeah, last year it was more detailed because of the Regions; this year, things are more spread out and less is "fact" right now.
    Don't know if anyone's looked at Reg. IV, but I found it shocking that Richlands is 9-0 and COULD end up as the #3 seed (of course, it's highly doubtful they'll lose to 0-9 Tazewell)
    For me, the current cheat-sheet is just like the current ratings... it's the core for this Friday night. When I do my 11:00 scoreboard, I can tell the Russell Co. ppl. if their teams have clinched a playoff spot or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •